Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day Ten: Etsy.com's Blog


















Website: Etsy.com's Blog

Where to go: CLICK HERE for home page, CLICK HERE for blog

Why I think it's mind-blowing:
I know what some of you are thinking. Let me defend myself. Yes, I realize that Etsy is a well-known daily shopping stop for many. Because of my long-time love affair with Etsy, I'm always shocked by the blank stares I get when I mention it. According to Etsy's site, their mission "is to enable people to make a living making things, and to reconnect makers with buyers. Our vision is to build a new economy and present a better choice: buy, sell, and live handmade." In other words, creative people from across the globe create stellar goodies for the fortunate buyers.

It is easy and free to become a seller, and Etsy only takes a small portion of your profits. As a buyer, this site is a gold mine of jewelry, photography, stationery, clothing, pottery, etc. There are also great options that help you shop locally, or according to color preference. Many sellers will create custom items at your request. If you see something you like, keep in mind that many items are unique and aren't created in bulk.

If you love Etsy but you don't follow the blog, you should. Not only does it
showcase great design, but it provides a "how-to" section, lists events, and encourages contest participation on their news page.

Click on the "Craftivism" portion of the blog and discover how you can use your passion to become an activist. Many Etsy sellers are doing their part to help
clean the gulf. Another featured article discusses the Combat Paper Project, which helps soldiers reclaim their stories and express their experiences through art.

Look for a post in the near future that lists my favorite Etsy sellers.

No comments:

Post a Comment