Tuesday, August 24, 2010

MOBA (The Museum of Bad Art)



















In my lifetime, I don't know how many times people have explained their lack of creativity to me. My response never wavers. I believe that every person is creative and original, and with proper training can create beautiful work. But what is beautiful, really? Who decides what is aesthetically pleasing and what is not? 

Recently I came across the website for MOBA, the Museum of Bad Art in Massachusetts. According to their site, it is "dedicated to the collection, preservation, exhibition and celebration of bad art in all its forms and in all its glory." If you don't have the energy to hop on over to Massachusetts, the collection is online and in book form. Plus, they send out newsletters to interested parties. 

It's strange how compelling this "bad art" truly is. Each piece was made with a specific intention, a hidden meaning and an artist's hand. I'm not sure I believe in the criticism of such a subjective medium to this degree, but that's the fun of it, right? During college I learned the benefit of critiques, but at some point you have to listen to your inner voice when creating a meaningful piece.

What do you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment