Tuesday, May 4, 2010

More than a sparkling vampire? Yes, I think so.

Image from imdb.com




I must make an embarrassing admission. Yes, I read the Twilight series. After watching the hilarious movies where awful acting and goofy graphics seemed to be the prominent themes, I decided I should give the books a try. The movie's plot was slightly intriguing, so some vampire reading should be harmless, right? To make a long story short, the books were very entertaining though slightly bothersome in their messages regarding love and sexism. I could go on forever, but that's not the purpose of this post.

Where am I going with this? Oh, right.

The other night I dragged an unwilling Don to see a late night showing of Remember Me at a dollar theatre. I had quickly come to the conclusion that the movie would be sappy, and that Robert Pattinson (from Twilight) would provide eye candy but wouldn't contribute much in the acting department.

I am here to say that I was COMPLETELY wrong about my preconceived judgments. This film was provocative, emotionally engaging and beautifully acted. The cast, including Robert Pattinson, Emilie de Ravin, Pierce Brosnan and Chris Cooper had amazing chemistry. The themes of death, remorse and anger within a family unit were reminiscent of Garden State. I had been told before entering the movie that the end provided a twist, and it definitely did not disappoint. The movie went from being powerful to hitting home in a mere two minutes. If you want the full effect, don't read about it ahead of time. Knowing the twist will make you less emotionally vulnerable. While the critics were not impressed by this film, viewer reviews have been much more promising. Really, rent this one when it is released on DVD.

To see the theatrical trailer (which I warn you is misleading) click here.

1 comment: